Friday, May 1, 2009

The Lighter Side of the Legislative Session--Hotels

I usually prefer returning to Boise from Hayden Lake on Sunday afternoon, so that I can be well rested and prepared for Monday morning; particularly when the Senate convenes earlier, which is sometimes as early as 8 a.m.

However this past Sunday there were no available seats on the afternoon flight from Spokane. I had hoped, almost expected, the legislative session to have been over, so I did not buy a ticket in advance for my return.

Instead I was forced to fly in on Monday morning, which required me to get up at 4 a.m. and proceed from Hayden Lake to Spokane and to make my pre-6 a.m. flight. Clearly, here was a moment I was wishing northern Idaho and the rest of our state shared the same time zone—I do not believe I need to remind anyone of how much a single extra hour of sleep can sometimes make.

Needless to say, I was barely able to make it to Boise, check into my hotel and high-tail it over the Senate floor in time for roll call. But I did and once there, settled into a particularly long day of debate and considering of many bills, with only the briefest of breaks for lunch.

After adjournment late in the day I was asked to attend a dinner with colleagues and after what I would consider as short a dinner engagement as possible, I decided to retire to my hotel and room.

Upon arrival I entered the elevator and stared at the controls. I reached out with my finger, but could not remember what floor to choose. With today’s white Swiss cheese looking keyless keys, I had no clue to help remind me. The doors of the elevator closed and yet I still had not made a choice.

I finally had to open the doors and go to the front desk seeking help. I told the kindly girl at the counter I had forgotten my room number. She asked me what floor I was on as she began to check her computer and I must admit to sheepishly having to tell her I could not remember the floor either. With this she looked up at me and I could easily imagine she might have been considering whether I was the sort of person she could give this information to. After all, forgetting a room number isn’t so unusual, but forgetting the entire floor seems a bit careless. I thought she might be asking for my room key next to see if I was even in the right hotel.

Fortunately, I was able to provide my name and with this I was given the information and my embarrassment was at an end.

I have resolved to book my return flight from Spokane earlier this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment